Acoustic Baffle Installation Instructions
|Required Supplies/Materials:||Required Tools/Equipment:|
- Do not use adjustable cable clips in corrosive atmospheres such as swimming pools
- These instructions are specific to baffles suspended using adjustable cable clips.
- Refer to the baffle installation detail for the appropriate ceiling type along with these instructions.
- Packages of multiple baffles (boxes or bags) need to be carried by two people. Carry them flat whenever possible to avoid putting pressure on the edges of the baffles.
- Keep baffles in packaging until they can be installed to prevent them from getting dirty.
- Store baffles laying flat and never rest baffles on the corners as this can crush the edges.
- When lifting baffles into place do not squeeze the baffles as this can crush the edges.
- If dust gets on the baffles clean it off using a vacuum with a clean horse hair duster brush attachment.
Figure 1: Pictures of an adjustable cable clip. The arrows indicate the direction the cable should be fed into the clip.
5. Hang the baffles from the eye screws as per the following guidelines:
- Hold the baffle by the grommet flap to avoid crushing the bottom/side edges.
- The baffles are tapered below the grommet flap, which causes them to hang at a slight angle. To ensure this angle is consistent, hang the baffles so that this taper always faces the same direction.
- If the baffles will be viewed mainly from one direction, orient the baffles so that the flat side of the baffle is most visible (as opposed to the side that is tapered below the grommet flap).
- If sprinklers are present, the top of the baffles must be at least 18” below the sprinkler heads.
6. Adjust the length of the cables as required:
- To shorten a cable, hold the grommet flap to remove tension from the cable and pull more cable through the adjuster.
- To lengthen the cable, hold the grommet flap to remove tension from the cable and pinch the pegs on the adjuster toward each other to unlock the clip. Lower the baffle to the desired height and release the pegs.
- When finished, the cable loop above the adjuster clip should be about 1” tall. This can be adjusted by pulling the cable through one side of the clip or releasing one of the locking pegs at a time.